On September 22nd, 2019 New Japan Pro Wrestling headed to Kobe to complete the Destruction tour in Kobe World Hall. The tour consists of Road To shows and three big final nights, one in Beppu and the second in Kagoshima. My review and results are available now.
The main event of this show is Tetsuya Naito vs Jay White for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. The Intercontinental Championship will be defended in the Tokyo dome main event on January 5th against the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, the winner being declared the first double champion.
altprowrestling has been in commission since May of 2018 and continues to grow. By donating just £1 you are aiding the progression of this site, future upgrades and updates, and for that, I am eternally grateful.
The English language commentary team for this show is Kevin Kelly and Gino Gambino with Chris Charlton on translation.
Michael Richards, Alex Coughlin & Manabu Nakanishi vs Yuya Uemura, Yota Tsuji & Yuji Nagata
- Nakanishi and Nagata kick the match and show off. Nagata and Nakanishi were the finalists of the 1995 New Japan Young Lions cup, with the final of the 2019 Young Lions Cup being tonight. Coughlin and Uemura tags in about two minutes in. Coughlin and Tsuji go at each other and Coughlin gets Tsuji in a crab but Tsuji gets to the ropes. Tsuji gets the Giant Swing on Coughlin, followed by a full Boston Crab. Coughlin submits to Tsuji. Winners: Tsuji, Uemura and Nagata in 10:05.
Clark Conners vs Ren Narita
- Narita and Conners don’t want to give anything to their opponent as they trade slams and chops early. They beat the hell out of each other in a short amount of time with Conners putting Narita in a Boston Crab for the quick win. Winner: Clark Conners in 7:26.
Karl Fredericks vs Shota Umino
- This is for all the marbles as Fredericks and Shota are at the top of the field with ten points. Shota comes in with tape on his elbow but he isn’t facing anything like the issues Fredericks is facing with his shoulder. Shota targets the shoulder early but just shy of five minutes, Fredericks fights back and hits a dropkick. Shota has bloody running from his nose. Fredericks gives Shota a back suplex on his head and gets a single leg crab. Fredericks stomps on the back of Shota’s head and locks in the crab deep. Shota submits and Fredericks wins the Young Lions Cup with twelve points. Fredericks receives his trophy and Shota doesn’t look happy. Winner: Karl Fredericks in 7:18.
Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens & Bad Luck Fale vs Toa Henare, Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe
- Henare kicks the match off with a Haka and fans clap. Bullet Club get the early heat on Honma but when Honma moves as Fale charges into the corner, Honma tags Makabe. Chase hits Jewel Heist on Henare but Toa kicks out so Chase quickly hits a package piledriver on Henare to win. Winners: Chase Owens, Yujiro Takahashi and Bad Luck Fale in 8:22.
Minoru Suzuki, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Zack Sabre Jr & DOUKI vs Jyushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Rocky Romero
- Liger attacks Suzuki on his way to the ring and this starts with a brawl all over the place before anyone is even near the ring. Suzuki sets up a table in the corner of the ring. Suzuki breaks a chair on the head of Liger and goes for a sleeper. Jyushin Liger low blows Suzuki, pulls his mask off and reveals the face paint of KISHIN Liger, the alter-ego of Jyushin Thunder Liger. KISHIN attacks everyone and een sprays black mist in the face of Suzuki and the ref. Kishin tries to kill Suzuki with a spike to the head but Suzuki dives out of the way, and the ring. Kishin stabs the spike into the table then throws the table at Suzuki on the floor. The match is called off as Kishin Liger attacks Suzuki and the ref. Suzuki runs away but Kishin follows him, attacking the Young Lions, refs and even his team. Liger has lost his mind and I love it. This is the best thing in pro wrestling today! You must see this. Winners: Suzuki-gun by disqualification in 3:10.
Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, Will Ospreay, SHO & YOH vs KENTA, El Phantasmo, Taiji Ishimori, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
- Ishii starts with Tanga Loa but less than one minute in, everyone brawls around ringside. Back in the ring Bullet Club take turns clawing at the back and chest of YOSHI-HASHI. Just ost five minutes in, Ospreay and ELP tag in to preview their IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship match at King of Pro Wrestling. Ospreay tags YOH and this starts to speed up. Ospreay hits a corkscrew moonsault off the back of Ishii. Tanga Loa pretty much refuses to sell for anyone again. Out of nowhere YOH pins Tanga Loa and for the second time in a row, Roppongi 3K beats G.O.D. Winners: YOH, SHO, Will Ospreay, YOSHI-HASHI and Tomohiro Ishii in 9:40.
BUSHI, EVIL & SANADA vs Kota Ibushi, Kazuchika Okada & Robbie Eagles
- Okada and SANADA kick the match off as fans chant for both. We wait to see if fans are chanting for one more than the other. Nearly two minutes in they lock up for the first time. BUSHI and Eagles tags in and the match pace quickens. People on both teams fight in and out of the ring throughout as LIJ don’t care about rules. EVIL will be facing Kota Ibushi for the chance to fight for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship on January 4th, meanwhile Okada will defend against SANADA before then. This was a good, fast paced match with lots of action. SANADA submits Eagles with Skull End to win. Winner: Los Ingobernables De Japon in 13:50.
Hirooki Goto vs Shingo Takagi
- This is a special singles match as Hirooki Goto aims to welcome Shingo to the heavyweight division. Shingo is the quicker of the two but Hirooki Goto looks to be in great shape. Shingo wrestled in the G1 Climax tournament and after announced he would move up to the heavyweight division and has done well so far. This spills to ringside and Shingo throws Goto around. Past the first few minutes Shingo controls the early stages of the match. Nearly ten minutes in Goto fights back but it doesn’t last too long. Shingo looks for Made in Japan but Goto slams the back of Shingo’s head into his knee. Shingo powers Goto off the top rope with a superplex but Goto pops up. They trade suplexs for a double down. They get back to their feet and trade clotheslines. At the fifteen minute call, Shingo looks for Made in Japan again and hits it. Goto kicks out and Shingo readies himself for a pumping bomber. Goto ducks the first pumping bomber but gets hit with another as he comes off the ropes. Goto hits a reverse GTR for a two count. Shingo hits another pumping bomber that turns Goto inside out for a great nearfall. Eventually Goto hits a GTR for the win. Really good match. Winner: Hirooki Goto in 20:27.
IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match – Tetsuya Naito(c) vs Jay White
- This obviously starts off with lots of stalling. Naito really winds White up by staying away from him, dodging everything and telling Jay to hurry up. Jay throws Naito around at ringside and Naito goes flying over the barrier and on the laps of fans in the front row. Once this gets started it gets good, with Naito trying to piss Jay White off and succeeding sometimes. Naito targets the head and neck of Switchblade to ready him for the Destino later. Jay takes over and hits a draping DDT for a nearfall. Jay White works over Naito for about five or so minutes as Jay gets more cocky. Naito fights back and hits Gloria for a two. Naito hits Combinación Cabrón on the apron. They fight on the apron until Jay White hits a apron-bomb on Naito. Back in the ring Jay goes for a Kiwi Crusher but Naito reverses it into a DDT. Naito looks to be closing in on Jay White but Gedo gets in and hits Naito in the back with a chair. Naito fights back with a enziguri and looks for Destino but White drops to the mat. With lots of reversals, Naito finally hits a delayed Destino after Jay White trys to stop the move. Naito keeps looking for Destino but Jay hits Bladerunner and wins the belt. Naito loses his championship to Switchblade and some fans get up immediately and leave. Jay White is Intercontinental Champion. Winner: Jay White in 29:47.
After the match Jay White mocks Naito and his post match speech. While Jay mocks LIJ Hirooki Goto comes to the ring and punches Jay out of the ring.