This is the ninth night on the Best of the Super Jr. tournament and the third night in a row in Korakuen Hall. This show, and the whole tournament is available on njpwworld with English commentary. See full results from previous shows below.
– Night 1
– Night 2
– Night 3
– Night 4
– Night 5
– Night 6
– Night 7
– Night 8
2 points for a win, 1 point each for a time limit draw, 0 points for a no contest and 0 points for a loss.
Best of the Super Jr. tournament matches
SHO vs Tiger Mask
- SHO tries his best in the early stages against the legend, Tiger Mask but Tiger kicks the hell out of SHO. That was pretty much the story of the match, Tiger Mask is a pissed off older wrestler but SHO is too much heart and talent. SHO pins Tiger Mask with a shock arrow. Winner: SHO in 8:14.
Will Ospreay vs Ren Narita
- Ren Narita is full of heart and fire but Ospreay is obviously multiple levels above Narita is terms of talent. Ospreay is one of the best wrestlers in the world today. Ospreay sells like a champ for Narita and makes the crowd believe that a underdog win could be possible, for a moment. The fans chant for Narita. Ospreay jumps over the top rope but Narita moves and belly-to-belly suplexs Ospreay on the floor. Ospreay manages to get in at a count of 19. Ospreay flips out of Narita’s suplex and goes for a Stormbreaker, Narita reversed Stormbreaker into a backslide and the crowd was so loud I couldn’t hear the count. Ospreay kicks out. Ospreay pins Narita with a Oscutter to win an intense match. Winner: Will Ospreay in 8:46.
Marty Scurll vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru
- This starts with both trying to hit each other with weapons. Then they brawl to ringside and through the crowd. Great crowd brawl where the ref keeps being pushed over. Kanemaru trys his trick to get Marty counted out but Brody stops Kanemaru getting back in, they both get back to the ring at 19. The ref is knocked down and Kanemaru trys to spit whiskey on Scrull but Scurll uses his umbrella to block it. Marty picks up the whiskey and takes a swig while Kanemaru picked up the umbrella but the ref takes the whiskey and umbrella so Marty spits the whiskey in Kanemaru’s face and hits the Black Plague for the win. Very fun match. Winner: Marty Scurll in 5:03.
Robbie Eagles vs DOUKI
- DOUKI trys to get a jump start on Eagles. They go to ringside where DOUKI gives Eagles a DDT on a chair and busts open Eagles’ head bad. Robbie seems okay and continues, even with quite a bit of blood on his hands and head. Eagles’ head bandana comes off and the blood starts to trickle down the face of Eagles. The match is good but the story is Robbie Eagles’ head. Robbie Eagles beats DOUKI with a 450 to the knee and a Ron Miller Special leg lock. DOUKI taps out. Winner: Robbie Eagles in 8:13.
Taka Michinoku vs Shingo Takagi
- This match gets insane quickly as Shingo misses a clothesline and hits the post. Taka continues to beat on Shingo for the next five minutes. Somewhere in that Taka injured his foot. Taka was great in this match and had the fans believing that he could and would win. Shingo hits the Last of the Dragons on Taka for the win. Taka must of wrestled for about minutes with an injured foot and never let it slow him down, marvellous. Shingo Takagi in 7:23.
This is where the mystery video starts to play for Juice Robinson.
*NOTE: It was confirmed on social media that the Mystery Man is Jon Moxley. Moxley and Juice will officially face off for the IWGP US Championship at Dominion on June 5th.
Bandido vs Ryusuke Taguchi
- This starts as a mostly comedy match but there are some really good spots too. Taguchi has been great in this tournament and Bandido is always great. Taguchi often pays homage to other wrestlers who were once in NJPW and in this match he adds the Rise of the Terminator dive, paying homage to Kenny Omega. About ten minutes in all comedy is gone and they have some great back and forth. Bandido wins with a 21 plex. Winner: Bandido in 10:50.
Taiji Ishimori vs Jonathan Gresham
- Gresham is a technical wrestling master and uses it against Ishimori here. Ishimori seems to get hit in the eye in this match but is ok. Gresham controlled most of the match but Ishimori wins with a Bloody Cross. Winner: Taiji Ishimori in 6:50.
YOH vs BUSHI
- BUSHI starts another match with a dropkick and a dive, flying through the air Lee a missile. This gets really good about the ten minute mark but then ends shortly after. BUSHI wins with an MX. Winner: BUSHI in 11:46.
Dragon Lee vs Titan
- Before the match, Dragon Lee takes his spare Kamatachi style mask and gives it to Red Shoes. Red Shoes is honoured to wear the mask and poses with the two wrestlers and a flag. This is a lot of high flying insanity and striking battles. In the end, it got hard hitting and fast paced. Both trade shots, then Dragon Lee hits a knee strike with no padding then hits a Desnucadora for the win. Good match with a good reaction. Winner: Dragon Lee in 14:02.
Rocky Romero vs El Phantasmo
- They brawl through the crowd and ELP trys to dive on Rocky like he did to Ospreay but Rocky disappeared then come out of nowhere with a knee. Back in the ring, ELP does what ever he can to beat down Rocky but when ELP slaps Rocky, Rocky fires up very briefly. Phantasmo stomps on the groin of Rocky while he is tied up in the corner upside down. ELP is showing he’s that cocky guy that you want to fail but as the commentary team point out, he doesn’t and hasn’t in NJPW yet. ELP removes the mats at ringside and attempts to give Rocky the CR2 on the exposed floor but Rocky reverses with a backdrop. Just before the 15 minute point Rocky dives off the top rope to the outside and takes out ELP and some Young Lions. Throughout the match ELP targets the leg of Rocky and Rocky targets the arm of Phantasmo. Rocky reversed an ankle lock into an arm triangle but ELP gets out. Phantasmo throws Romero into the Japanese announce team and Rocky gets back in at 18, ELP misses a big splash. The ref gets taken out and Rocky reversed a low blow into an armbar and ELP taps but the ref doesn’t see it. ELP tried to use his belt but but the ref gets up and takes it away. Moments later they reverse everything and Rocky gets the armbar again. El Phantasmo taps out to the armbar and Rocky Romero is the first top beat ELP in NJPW. Wow, what a rollercoaster of a match, incredible. After the match, SHO and YOH come down to celebrate with Rocky. Winner: Rocky Romero in 28:39.
Current BOSJ standings
- Taka Michinoku – 0
- Titan – 4
- Yoshinobu Kanemaru – 4
- Marty Scurll – 8
- Jonathan Gresham – 4
- SHO – 4
- Shingo Takagi – 12
- Dragon Lee – 8
- Taiji Ishimori – 10
- Tiger Mask – 4
- Robbie Eagles – 6
- Ren Narita – 0
- DOUKI – 2
- Bandido – 6
- El Phantasmo – 10
- Will Ospreay – 10
- BUSHI – 6
- Ryusuke Taguchi – 8
- YOH – 4
- Rocky Romero – 4