New Japan’s Wrestling Dontaku tour ends with two big nights in Fukuoka. These shows will be the last shows before the Best of The Super Jr. Tournament that starts on May 13th, 2019.
This show is headlined by Jeff Cobb defending his Never Openweight Championship against Taichi and Dragon Lee defending his IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship against Taiji Ishimori. Both champions are defending for the first time since winning their respective titles at the G1 Supercard.
Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura & Toa Henare vs Shota Umino, Ren Narita & Tomoaki Honma
- Narita picks up the win with his bridging belly-to-belly suplex. Good opening match from the Young Lions of New Japan. Henare is trying to get a match with the winner of the Never Openweight Championship match later on. Winners: Ren Narita, Shota Umino and Tomoaki Honma
Minoru Suzuki, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, El Desperado & Taka vs Jyushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, YOSHI-HASHI & Taguchi
- Suzuki-gun get the jumps start as always before the bell and they beat down everyone for about five minutes. Suzuki uses a chair on Taguchi which looked great. About the six minute mark, Liger and Suzuki are in the ring and Suzuki gets an armbar on and won’t let go when Liger gets to the ropes. They trade chops and Liger tells the fans he can’t feel it. After a brawl by all, Suzuki and Liger fight at ringside. Tiger Mask hits a Tiger Bomb for a great nearfall on Taka. Moments later, Taka hits Tiger Mask with the Michinoku Driver for the win. Winners: Suzuki-gun in 9:57.
Toru Yano, Togi Makabe & Will Ospreay vs Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Hikuleo
- Another jump start here as Bullet Club jump Chaos and get the heat on Yanoxfor the first few minutes. Togi Makabe tags in about 4 minutes in and gets the better of Tanga Loa. Ospreay comes in fast and furious, flipping around the ring and gets big reactions from the crowd. Ospreay is cut off by Jado with his cane but it doesn’t take long for Ospreay to pick up momentum again. Ospreay attempts the Oscutter on Hikuleo but he’s too big and strong. Moments later, Will hits it and pins the giant Tongan. Winners: Chaos; Will Ospreay, Togi Makabe and Toru Yano in 7:27.
SHO, YOH & Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI & Shingo Takagi
- BUSHI and YOH starts the match off with one loud BUSHI fan in the crowd. This spills to the outside and when they get back in, Naito is taking it to Ibushi. LIJ begin the heat on Ibushi. Naito spits at Ibushi and Ibushi lands a double stomp on Naito who was running at him. Naito tags Shingo as Ibushi tags SHO. SHO ags in YOH and they go for the 3K but it is avoided. BUSHI tags in against YOH. Ibushi tags back in and takes out everyone with some great looking kicks. Ibushi pins BUSHI after a Kamigoye. Winners: SHO, YOH and Kota Ibushi in 11:30.
After the match, Kota asked Naito when and where they would have their Intercontinental championship match. Naito teased that we would see the match tomorrow.
Switchblade Jay White, Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens vs Juice Robinson, Mikey Nicholls & Hirooki Goto
- This spills to ringside quickly with everyone brawling and going into the railings. Back in the ring, Bullet club get the heat on Mikey Nicholls until Goto tags in. Juice eventually tags in after Goto has been beaten down. Finally Juice gets his hands on Chase Owens but it doesn’t last long with Bullet club running in and taking Juice down. Juice goes for Pulp Friction but is taken out by Jay White, at that point everyone runs in, one at a time. Juice pins Chase with a Pulp Friction after all that. Winners: Juice Robinson, Mikey Nicholls and Goto in 11:23.
After this match, Juice celebrated with his belt and the lights turned off, then a video played of someone in a hooded jacket, with a Union Jack on his shoulder, “Death Rider” on his back and knives in his hands. The man was watching Juice vs Chase and calving into a wooden table or bar. He gets up and starts to walk and we see the date of June 5th, 2019 which is the finals of the Best of the Super Jrs with the words “Time’s Up”.
Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs EVIL & SANADA
- This match kicks off with Okada wanting to face off with his challenger, SANADA. The first two minutes were quick and smooth by both guys, they are great. Both men tag out and Ishii and EVIL go at it. EVIL tags in SANADA but Ishii still attacks EVIL. LIJ get the heat on Ishii but after a while, Ishii suplexes EVIL and tags in Okada. Okada takes out EVIL then has a great back-and-forth with SANADA. Okada tags in Ishii who runs wild on LIJ but is double teamed and ends up taking the Magic Killer then is put in the Scorpion Deathlock by EVIL. Okada tries to save Ishii but is put in the Skull End by SANADA. The referee stops this with Ishii unable to escape but will not give up. Winners: Los Ingobernables De Japon; EVIL and SANADA in 16:53.
Never Openweight Championship Match – Jeff Cobb(c) vs Taichi
- Two minutes into the match and the made contact for the first time as Taichi hits Cobb from behind but Cobb didn’t move. Jeff Cobb quickly gets the better of Taichi but they go to ringside and Suzuki-gun get involved. Taichi uses all the underhanded tactics he can but thankfully Cobb starts to gain momentum again. Taichi moves when Cobb goes for a standing moonsault and, with his kicks, Taichi takes over again. Cobb takes a kick to the chin and seems to get annoyed and throws Taichi around. Taichi wears down Cobb for what seems like forever but Cobb grabs the waist of Tachi and delivers two suplexes into a piledriver. Cobb hits the moonsault and goes for a Tour of the Islands but is reversed. Cobb couldn’t hit his finisher but Taichi did. Taichi pins Cobb in a very disappointing finish for me. Taichi was in control of most of this match, then beat Cobb. Not a fan of this one. Winner: Taichi in 17:50.
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship Match – Dragon Lee(c) vs Taiji Ishimori
- This starts with a bit of a scramble on the mat. After some mat wrestling, the pace picks up with some fast kicks and strikes. Dragon Lee gets a rana which sends Ishimori to ringside and Lee quickly hits a dive. Back in the ring, Lee kicks Ishimori and attacks the knee of Ishimori. Ishimori fights back and targets the neck and back of the champion. Ishimori hits a great looking moonsault off the middle rope to the outside on a standing Dragon Lee. Ishimori is in control of this as he hits double knees in the corner. Dragon Lee fights back and gets a two count on a bridging German suplex. Ishimori hits a great crucifix bomb for a near fall. Somehow, Dragon Lee hits a running rana over the top rope, off the apron and to the floor. Taiji Ishimori reverses Dragon Lee at ringside and hits a Lucha-style armdrag into the barrier. They both get back in at 19. In an insane exchange, Ishimori hits a super quick destroyer, then Dragon Lee hits a Falcon Arrow. Lee slowly crawls for a cover and gets two. Lee double stomps through Ishimori’s face in the corner but Ishimori kicks out. Ishimori gets Dragon Lee in a crossface for an extended period and Lee sold it great. Dragon Lee kicks out of a double knee gut-buster. Lee fights back with some very quick suplexs. Lee hits a powerbomb for the win and to retain his belt. Winner: Dragon Lee in 25:52.
Very good show with some news and interesting talking points coming out. I enjoyed the main event very much and look forward to seeing Hiromu back to face Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship.
Thanks for reading this and don’t forget you can subscribe for free via email, tweet to me @ProWresMatthew or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow @altprowres on Twitter. Comments, likes and shares are always welcomed.