Today (January 4th, 2019), is the day that New Japan Pro Wrestling holds their biggest show of the year, Wrestlekingdom 13. On this epic 4 hour extravaganza, you will see Kenny Omega defend his title against Hiroshi Tanahashi, and so much more.
You can read my preview, HERE.
The show starts with a Never Openweight 6-Man tag team gauntlet match, the winners receive a championship shot at the champs, the BC-OGs tomorrow(January 5th, 2019) at New Year Dash, available for free on njpwworld.
Never Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Gauntlet Match
- Winners: Toru Yano, Ryusuke Taguchi and Togi Makabe.
New Japan Pro Wrestling takes a short break before the main show starts. Join me for live results and feedback from the show, as it happens, just hit REFRESH to see updates.
Before the Main Show Started, New Japan announced their 2019/2020 Big Shows Calendar, which is available HERE.
IWGP Never Openweight Championship Match – Kota Ibushi (c) vs Will Ospreay
- This match was as much of a high flying spectacle that you would expect from these two with some really hard hitting moments. At one point, Ospreay had Kota tied up in the tree of woe. As Ibushi had his foot caught in the top turnbuckle, they slapped each other while Ibushi was upside-down and Ospreay kicked Ibushi in the face and possibly breaking the nose of Kota and causing blood to flow from the face. Ospreay elbowed Kota Ibushi in the back of the head, then picked up the motionless Golden Star for his finisher, the Stormbreaker. Kota was carried out on a stretcher and didn’t move. Winner: Will Ospreay.
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Championship Triple Threat Match – Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) vs Los Ingobernables De Japon (BUSHI & Shingo Takagi) vs Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado)
- This match wasn’t too long but was packed of fast paced action. Kanemaru and El Desperado lost the titles here while they weren’t legal in the match. Shingo pinned YOH with his finisher, The Last of the Dragons, formerly known as Last Falconry. Winners: Shingo Takagi and BUSHI.
RPW Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship Match – Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr
- These two men continue the battle between Ishii and Suzuki-gun that has waged for months now. Ishii has beaten Suzuki for the Heavyweight championship, while Zack and Suzuki still hold the RPW British Tag championships. This had some great Ishii-strikes and classic moments, but in the end, Zack had worn down the right arm of Ishii and looked to pull it out if its socket until Ishii yelled to referee Chris Roberts that he submitted. ZSJ wins the Undisputed BHC via submission. Winner: Zack Sabre Jr.
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Match – Gorillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs EVIL & SANADA vs The Young Bucks
- Another really good match here, Jado and Bad Luck Fale tried to get involved to help their teammates, Tama & Tanga out but it wasn’t enough to win. LIJ hit Matt Jackson with a Magic Killer, then SANADA hit Matt with a moonsault for the win. LIJ pick up their second win of the night and second championships, so far. Winners: Los Ingobernables De Japon, EVIL and SANADA.
IWGP US Heavyweight Championship Match – Cody (c) vs Juice Robinson
- Cody played the “Prick Heel” here in this match. Cody even hit Juice with his own finisher, Pulp Friction, for a nearfall. Brandi go involved multiple times but was ejected by the referee. Juice hit two Pulp Frictions on Cody to win the IWGP US Heavyweight Championship again. Good match. Winner: Juice Robinson.
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship Match – KUSHIDA vs Taiji Ishimori
- This was a classic Jr Heavyweight championship match, lots of back and forth, fast paced action and high risk moves. KUSHIDA had an awesome entrance, where a child wearing a realistic mask of KUSHIDA came out on the stage, followed by a guy looking like a Japanese ‘Doc’ from Back to the future. The kid disappeared into smoke as KUSHIDA appeared. At the end of the match, Taiji Ishimori hits KUSHIDA with his finish, Bloody Cross for the finisher. Winner: Taiji Ishimori.
Special Singles Match – Kazuchika Okada vs Switchblade Jay White
- This is the only non-championship match on the main show and this is also Kazuchika Okada’s first non-title match at Wrestlekingdom in years. Gedo was the right hand man of Okada for six years, until he turned his back on the rainmaker for The Switchblade, Jay White. Gedo got involved with this match a lot of times but Okada seemed to have a response for it all. The fans were behind the rainmaker all the way but in the final moments, as these two reversed everything the other had, Jay White hit the Blade Runner on Okada for the win. Winner: Jay White.
IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match – Chris Jericho (c) vs Tetsuya Naito
- This was a war. Chairs, table spots, this match has everything. I really can’t do this justice. I really enjoyed this match. In the final moments of this match, Jericho swapped the kendo stick he was using for the IC belt to hit Naito but Naito ducked and hit the code breaker on Jericho. Naito finished Jericho with his third Destino of the match for the victory and the championship. It’s three for three for Los Ingobernables De Japon at Wrestlekingdom 13. Winner: Tetsuya Naito.
IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match – Kenny Omega (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
- In an epic battle, the ace of New Japan took his huge win in the G1 Climax 28 to the main event of the Tokyo Dome. Tanahashi took it to Kenny Omega, using Kenny’s tactics of the table that was set up by Omega but it backfired as Tanahashi went through the table. So many back and forth moments that had me frozen in suspense. Tanahashi shed blood in this match but he still picked up the win after taking everything that Omega could do, except the One Winged Angel. Tanahashi beat Kenny Omega with a High Fly Flow to win the Heavyweight championship. Winner: Hiroshi Tanahashi.