This Saturday on July 14th this year’s G1 Climax tournament will begin and go over these 19 days of wrestling with some matches I think could stand out and exceed expectations, some top matches I am really looking forward to, the top wrestlers to watch out for(This should help newer fans) and more so let’s get into it.
How to watch
The entire Tournament will be Live on njpwworld and for the first time every show will have English Commentary with Kevin Kelly. To subscribe to New Japan World it will cost you 999¥ which is about $9(USD) or £6-7(GBP) and €7-8(EUR) for a one month subscription.
New Japan World works very well on a laptop or Desktop computer via the website and also has the ability to cast to a TV or Chromecast.
New Japan World has new stuff on a lot and some of the stuff is free. The put up a Free match of the week, interviews and more so if you want to get used to the format of New Japan World you can watch some free stuff and see how you like it.
If you are watching on a smart device like a tablet or smartphone you can download the app that lets you cast your screen to devices such as Smart TVs and Chromecast. These apps are not stand alone apps that you sign into like the WWE Network or Ring Of Honor’s app for Honor Club but just a player that allows you to watch on you device and cast.
A Win = 2 points
A Draw = 1 point
A lose = 0 points
List of competitors
- Kenny Omega – IWGP Heavyweight Champion
- Hirooki Goto – IWGP Never Openweight Champion
- Juice Robinson – IWGP US Heavyweight Champion
- Kazuchika Okada
- Michael Elgin
- Switchblade Jay White
- Hiroshi Tanahashi
- Tetsuya Naito
- Hangman Page
- Tama Tonga
- Bad Luck Fale
- Toru Yano
- Tomohiro Ishii
- Minoru Suzuki
- Zack Sabre Jr
- Togi Makabe
- Kota Ibushi
- Show 1 – The two main events will be very good on this show, we have Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki and former IWGP Heavyweight champion, Kazuchika Okada Vs Switchblade Jay. When Jay came back to NJPW from excursion with his new gimmick “Switchblade” he was initially invited to the Bullet Club by Kenny Omega. Jay White turned Kenny down by hitting his finisher on Kenny and on another day beat Kenny for the IWGP US Heavyweight Champion. After this Switchblade Jay White was invited to the Chaos Faction by Okada, which Jay accepted. Jay claimed he doesn’t see an issue with facing your own faction members, especially for Titles. We will see the two faction members face off for the first time since Jay returned on day 1 of the G1 Climax.
- Show 2 – The two main events for this show are Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr and IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Kenny Omega vs Tetsuya Naito. Zack Sabre Jr vs The Golden Star Kota Ibushi will be a very intriguing match with Kota’s fast paced high flying and striking style against Zack’s submission and striking style this should be fun. The main event of the day is IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega vs Tetsuya Naito and these two usually only get a chance to wrestle each other once or twice a year and they always have one of the top matches of the year. Kenny himself has stated that one his favourite opponents is Naito as he “only gets to wrestle him once a year”. This could turn out to be one of the vest days and it’s only day
- Show 3 – day 3 seems like a day guys getting a chance to impress the fans and management with tops stars facing seemingly lower level guys, I expect at least one upset on this day. The top match of the day is the Ace of New Japan, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs The former IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion, Jay White. Jay lost the title to Juice Robinson at the US G1 Special in San Francisco on July 7th in a barn burner of a match and is looking to prove something I’m sure. I am also looking forward to seeingthe former IWGP Heavyweight champion Kazuchika Okada Vs Bad Luck Fale on this show. The two had a match last year for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship which Okada won and was on of the best received matches of Bad Luck Fale’s careerso far.
- Show 4 – After a few days rest the B Block crew are back at it again and this time we have a very interesting day if competition. Every match on this card is to me in different ways, we start off with Tama Tonga vs Sanada. Sanada has been a second tier LIJ guy for a while now but has proved he can raise his game of needed and I see a promising future for him and he will be facing a guy who just organised the “Firing” of the Bullet Club by the “BC Firing Squad”. Then a match that should end in a clean win for ZSJ as NJPW has been pushing him hard since he won the New Japan Cup earlier this year but with Yano, you just never know. Third on the card we have the New IWGP US Heavyweight Champion, Juice Robinson vs Kota Ibushi. Kota could have a great match with a broom and Juice is very over at the moment so I expect a good showing here for both. The two main events on this show are Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito and the IWGP Never Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto vs The IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega. These two matches should be blow away matches thus concluding a packed show and another day of great G1 action.
- Show 5 – The main event of day 5 is Kazuchika Okada Vs Hangman Page, this should be a very good match I could possiblybe Hangman’s first one-on-one with the Rainmaker. Another one to look out for is Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale. A possible sleeper match in this show could be Michael Elgin vs Jay White so keep an eye on that too.
- Show 6 – this card has a few interesting match ups such as Kenny Omega vs Tama Tonga. Tama Tonga turned his back on Kenny and the rest of Bullet Club on the July 7th show in the Cow Palace, claiming they are the real Bullet Club. The main event will probably be a slugfest with Ishii taking on Goto. These two hard hitters are known for leaving it all in the ring.
- Show 7 – This is the last day before a few days off for the crew and today is A Blocks day. Our Main Event is Togi Makabe vs Kazuchika Okada. Okada doesn’t have a bad match and Togi is experienced enough to be trusted to have a main event level match here, this should be good. Two others to watch out for here is Tanahashi vs Hangman Page and Switchblade Jay White vs Minoru Suzuki.
- Show 8 – The main event of day 8 is Sanada vs Kota Ibushi and these two are usually held at a level below main event so it will be nice for them to show what they’ve got. Kenny Omega is on second to main event tonight and is facing Juice Robinson. The New IWGP US Heavyweight Champion get a very good opportunity to show us what has got here. Tama Tonga vs Tetsuya Naito will also be one to watch and should be very good.
- Show 9 – A Block returns on day 9 with Kazuchika Okada Vs YOSHI-HASHI in the main event and Tanahashi vs Togi Makabe in the second main event spot. Another one to watch here should be Michael Elgin vs Minoru Suzuki.
- Show 10 – This show is headlined by Tomohiro Ishii vs Kota Ibushi which is a match I’m looking forward to a lot. Also on this show is Kenny Omega vs Sanada, which is a very good spot for Sanada to be in. Former Intercontinental Champion, Tetsuya Naito faces IWGP Never Openweight Champion Goto and Juice Robinson vs Toru Yano. The opener looks really fun with Tama Tonga vs Zack Sabre Jr.
- Show 11 – This show is Michael Elgin’s big chance to get some traction in New Japan as he faces former IWGP Heavyweight champion Kazuchika Okada. I’m sure the Suzuki vs EVIL match will be really good on this show too. Also, YOSHI-HASHI is someone who seems very cold recently with the fans and this is his time to show he can have a very good match as he faces Hiroshi Tanahashi. Jay White vs Hangman Page could be an awesome match and if you are limited on time you should still try to catch this one. Togi Makabe can be fun but I hope Fale wins this one and decisively.
- Show 12 – Once again this show is headlined by Kota Ibushi but this time against the IWGP Never Openweight Champion, Hirooki Goto. Kota is hopefully going to have a good showing in this tournament and this will all make the final tournament show against Kenny Omega even more intense as the wins rack up. Two of my favourite wrestlers are facing each other before the main event as Kenny Omega faces Zack Sabre Jr. I hope Tetsuya Naito kicks Toru Yano’s ass and the two openers look very entertaining too.
- Show 13 – This is the only show headlined by Minoru Suzuki and he is against Kazuchika Okada. This main event show be fantastic and it’s a shame Suzuki isn’t headlining more. Tanahashi vs EVIL should be a very good second main event here as EVIL is most likely going to be facing Jericho for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship after the tournament he should have a good showing in the G1 this year. Fale faces Elgin, Hangman Page takes on Togi Makabe and Jay White is against YOSHI-HASHI.
- Show 14 – Show 14 is headlined by Tomohiro Ishii vs Kenny Omega, these two don’t have many matches during the year but when they do it’s always great. The semi main should be a very good match as Tetsuya Naito faces Kota Ibushi. Zack Sabre Jr is facing IWGP US Heavyweight Champion Juice Robinson. Tama Tonga is facing Hirooki Goto and Sanada vs Toru Yano.
- Show 15 – As we near the finish here wrestlers are bound to be banged up but I’m sure that won’t stop Kazuchika Okada and EVIL from delivering an excellent main event a possible sleeper match on this card could be Hangman Page vs Minoru Suzuki which I am very looking forward to. Also another big match on this card is Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Big Michael Elgin, it will be interesting to see how this match is booked given Elgin recently won and lost the IWGP Never Openweight Championship with only one defence which he lost to Hirooki Goto. Togi Makabe vs Jay White and YOSHI-HASHI vs Bad Luck Fale is also on this show.
- Show 16 – Show 16 is very interesting as the two LIJ guys face off in the main event, Naito vs Sanada. Kenny Omega is facing Toru Yano in the secondary main event this night and Kota is facing Tama Tonga before that. Hirooki Goto is facing Zack Sabre Jr and IWGP US Heavyweight Champion Juice Robinson opens the Block action with Tomohiro Ishii in what could be a very good match.
- Show 17 – Show 17 is the second to last day for the Block action and the matches on this card could decide the winner of A Block. In the main event we have a match that is often considered one of the matches of the year when Hiroshi Tanahashi faces Kazuchika Okada. Switchblade Jay White faces EVIL in the semi main and Minoru Suzuki faces Bad Luck Fale in the third from the top. Togi Makabe is against Michael Elgin and YOSHI-HASHI faces Hangman Page.
- Show 18 – This is the final day of Block action and the matches on this card could decide the winner of B Block. The main event of day 18 could be one of the most anticipated matches of the year as Golden Lovers teammates face off in the main event, Kenny Omega vs Kota Ibushi. Tetsuya Naito also faces a challenge as he comes up against Zack Sabre Jr in what could be a deciding match for points in the tournament. The IWGP US Heavyweight Champion Juice Robinson faces off against the IWGP Never Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto. Tomohiro Ishii faces one of the top LIJ guys in a match that is sure to be outstanding and Ishii faces Sanada and Tama Tonga goes one-on-one with Toru Yano in the Block opener.
The finals will be held on August 12th in Nippon, Budokan Hall. The two Block Winners will face off in the main event and the winner of that often headlines the Wrestlekingdom show on January 3rd in the Tokyo Dome. This is New Japan’s biggest show of the year and it’s a huge honour to Main Event.
This has been fun and I hope you enjoyed reading this post.
Thanks for reading this and don’t forget to follow this site via Email below. You can also follow me on Twitter @ProWresMatthew or E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org